“Now, Do You Have Any Questions?”
There are great questions and dumb questions and, worst of all, no questions at all.
The interviewer’s last question is frequently the most important one. That’s when the interviewer smiles and says: “Now, do you have questions for us?” Your response at this point often determines if you continue as a job seeker or transform into a job getter.
Great Questions To Ask (Pick and choose just a few)
- What does this company value the most and how do you think my work for you will further these values?
- What kinds of processes are in place to help me work collaboratively?
- What can I bring Company XYZ to round out the team?
- What’s the most important thing I can do to help within the first 90 days of my employment?
- Do you have any questions or concerns about my ability to perform this job?
- When top performers leave the company why do they leave and where do they usually go?
- What do you see in me? What are my strongest assets and possible weaknesses? Do you have any concerns that I need to clear up in order to be the top candidate?
- Why is this position available?
- Is this a new position? How long has this position existed?
- How many people have held this position in the last two years?
- Who would be my supervisor? To whom would I report?
- Whom will I supervise?
- With whom will I be working most closely?
- What do you like about working for this company?
- What are the current plans for expansion or cutbacks?
- What kind of turnover rate does the company have?
- What projects and assignments will I be working on?
- What happened to the person that held this position before? Was he promoted or fired?
- What is this company’s culture? (Ex: Is it rigid and formal or relaxed and flexible?)
- What are the current problems facing the company (or my department)?
- Describe the work environment.
- Describe the typical responsibilities of the position.
- What are the most challenging aspects of the position?
- Describe the opportunities for training and professional development.
- Will I receive any formal training?
- What is the company’s promotional policy?
- Are there opportunities for advancement within the organization?
- When can I expect to hear from you?